Breathing in and out I go to my quiet place pull up opposites that attract find harmony - oh so pleasing! Feel rhythm and movement play with shadow and light - did you see that curve?
Lisa Lorenz was born in a suburb west of Johannesburg in South Africa 1964. Both grandmothers were performers: one was an opera singer and music teacher, the other a successful actress in mainly amateur productions. Her mother is a poet and translator and a lover of art. Lisa became a concert singer and has been working at the opera in Zurich, Switzerland since 1994. As a singer she has performed in solo recitals, has composed music and gives voice coaching.
Finding the joys of handmade ceramics
Shortly after launching her CD Mondverse (English: Mouthing Verse) setting Afrikaans poetry to music in May 2014, Lisa longed for a new creative vessel to keep her hungry muse happy. She decided to start working with clay as she loved using handmade dinnerware. While learning to throw with clay on the wheel, Lisa yearned for a finer medium, one that could even become transparent; transparency being a spiritual, ethereal quality that she also seeks while singing and composing.
Porcelain – a passionate love affair
Two kinds of high-firing porcelain have become her favourites to work with: Limoges (France) and Southern Ice (New Zealand/Australia). With them she shapes organic flowing archaic forms, by mainly hand-building.
Lisa’s challenge is to expand her artistic expression together with porcelain, assimilating their joint gifts, transforming and manifesting shapes and bringing them to her ultimate artistic purpose of sharing joy and wonder!
Read more about Lisa’s COLLECTIONS
Read more about Lisa’s DINNERWARE
Please contact Lisa for enquiries and hear first-hand about events and specials.
Hope to continue learning and growing for ever!
- Group exhibition: Künstlervereinigung Rapperswil Jona
- Gallery group exhibition sale: Kreativmarkt im Kulturparkett mit Bistro in Rapperswil, Switzerland.
- Inauguration of her new studio
- Art Box Project Basel 2017: 2 works were shown on-screen: Blue Angel (object) and Well of Light (light object)
- 5 intensive days of training with Zsuzsa Fuezesi in Gordola, Switzerland at the Keramik- und Töpferschule
- Showcased and sold her jewelry at the Craft Fair organized by the Zurich International Women’s Association
- Extraordinary Christmas Gifts: exhibition and sale at the Toepferei zur Linde in Rapperswil-Jona
- Zsuzsa Fuezesi: Hand-Werk mit Porzellan, Gordola Tessin
- Kick-off event organised by the Zurich International Women’s Association
- Antoinette Badenhorst: Porcelain in Perfection, Basel Lehmhuus
- Joined the Artists Entrepreneur LAB group lead by Catherine Orer
- Mark McGuinness: Creative Pathfinder, e-course
- Zsuzsa Fuezesi: Porcelain Hand-Building and its special shapes, Basel Lehmhuus
- Advent Open Studio mit Sabine Bärtschi: Toepferei zur Linde in Rapperswil-Jona
- Antoinette Badenhorst: Pinched Teapots, e-course
- Antoinette Badenhorst: Wheel Thrown Porcelain Dinnerware, e-course
- Antoinette Badenhorst: Understanding Porcelain, e-course
- Laurin Staub: Throwing on the wheel, Bern Schule fuer Gestalltung
- Elisabeth Tuero: private lessons till May 2016 in throwing on the wheel